“State DOTs are overwhelmingly focused on innovative solutions to address the transportation issues of today and tomorrow, meeting challenges involving climate change, equity, resiliency, and safety,” said Jim Tymon, Executive Director of AASHTO. “The America’s Transportation Awards program shows just how they’re doing that. Whether on foot, in a vehicle, on two wheels, or by rail or transit, state DOTs are continuing to advance a safe, multimodal transportation system.”
Twenty-two projects in the Southern Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (SASHTO) region were nominated by nine states for this year’s competition. The following project in the Dixie Contractor area was a winner of the regional America’s Transportation Awards.
According to Gina Lau Snider, GDOT District Communications Officer, the project created a gateway between Columbus State University, hospitals, and local trails on Talbotton Road. Walkability and access for transit users and pedestrians was greatly improved through the addition of new east-west sidewalks, linkage to the Fall Line Trace Trail and Dragonfly Trail bike networks, and covered bus stops on both sides of the highway.
“The project has revitalized the area, creating the walkability and transit access every community desires,” Snider said. “Columbus State University students also use the road for travel back and forth between the downtown and main campuses … [and] patrons of local hospitals greatly benefit from the improved access.”
- Caltrans: 360 Tours Program
- Illinois DOT and Iowa DOT: The Memorial Bridge, Interstate 74 Mississippi River Crossing Project
- All MAASTO States (nominated by Iowa DOT): Emergency Divisible Load Management Project
- Minnesota DOT: Trunk Highway 61 Grand Marais Reconstruction Project
- New Jersey DOT: Route 495, Route 1&9/Paterson Plank Road Bridge Project
- New York DOT: State Route 5S and North Genesee Street Multi-Modal Safety and Connections Enhancements Project
- Pennsylvania DOT: I-579 Urban Open Space Cap Project
- South Carolina DOT: U.S. 21 over Harbor River Bridge Replacement Project
- Tennessee DOT: Hernando de Soto Bridge Emergency Repairs Project
- Texas DOT: U.S. 281 North Expansion, Segment 1 Project
- Virginia DOT: Chatham Bridge Rehabilitation and Share Use Path Project
- Washington State DOT: Active Transportation Plan 2020 and Beyond Project
In October, AASHTO will reveal the winners for the Grand Prize and the People’s Choice Award at its 2022 Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida.